Why 'When Doves Cry' by Prince?

Why 'When Doves Cry' by Prince? 


I've always found myself having an appreciation for music released in the past, years before I was born. My father and I would often listen to 'classics' from his time and I found myself really liking the iconic bands and artists from before the 2000s. From bands like Led Zeppelin to The Cranberries, or artists like Bonnie Tyler, Michael Jackson and Prince. I just felt that there is something different, an 'X' factor that is missing in today's music. 


A year I find myself drawn to is 1984, my personal all time favourite year for music. In that year, the artist formerly known as Prince released his most successful album, "Purple Rain". On that album, apart from the titular song, I found another track which really stood out to me; ‘When Doves Cry’. I clearly was not the only one which found it special either as ‘When Doves Cry’ was a worldwide hit, being Prince’s first No. 1 Single as well as being the best selling single of the entire year.


The opening guitar riff is nothing short of exceptional and Prince's vocal abilities are definitely in their best state here. However, diving beneath the surface of what seems to be quite a groovy club song, you'll find that the lyrics tell a story of loneliness, misery and heartbreak. With Prince singing about his toxic relationship that mirrors that of his parents. The song strives in representing the sadness that comes with the end of a relationship that you really wanted to work; an event which could even lead to the symbol of love and purity, a 'Dove', crying. This depth and meaning behind the song really made this the obvious choice of song to be used for my music video.


Comments